Hills Cemetery Maintenance Association is a volunteer organization
dedicated to maintaining the grounds of Greenwood Hills Cemetery in a
manner that respects the dead, honors the living, and preserves a
valuable connection with our rich pioneer history. Through responsible
stewardship of resources, we strive to maintain a safe and beautiful
open space where people can come to remember the past and enjoy the
natural world which we hold in sacred trust for the future.
Kindly send all inquiries and questions to:
Brendan McGillicuddy - Archivist
PO Box 80701
Portland, OR 97280
Brendan is also available by phone:
Hattie Mead - Cemetery Chair
GHC's Treasurer and Chair have been named as
the Community Volunteers to be Recognized in 2013.
This wonderful honor is bestowed upon Ken and Hattie by the Collins View Neighborhood Association. Ken and Hattie are being recognized for their never-ending dedication to ensuring the strength and stability of Greenwood Hills Cemetery. Their incredible leadership not only helps keep the cemetery looking beautiful, it ensures the perpetuality of Greenwood Hills and the association that oversees its care. Congratulations to Ken, Hattie and the board for this joyous honor. Bravo!
• Our Fall Newsletter is online in our Newsletter section.
• GHC was designated as a Oregon Historic Cemetery by the Oregon Commisssion on Historic Cemeteries. Recently, we were asked to provide copy for the state's blog. Read on:
Greenwood Hills Cemetery (GHC) is a historic pioneer cemetery located in southwest Portland, Oregon. The cemetery was platted in 1882 and opened in 1884 as the Portland Masonic Cemetery. In 1935, Greenwood Hills Cemetery, Inc. became Greenwood Hills Cemetery in perpetuity. GHC currently spans 12 acres and has over 12,000 graves.
In 1986 when family members arrived in preparation for Memorial Day, they were shocked to see over 3 feet of grass and weeds. As they realized the cemetery had been abandoned, they rallied other families and formed Greenwood Hills Cemetery Maintenance Association (GHCMA)—the current board who oversees the welfare of the cemetery. From inception to present-day era, this volunteer organization still thrives. With a current board of 7 members, GHCMA has the potential of a 12-member board that not only performs general oversight and care of the cemetery, it also organizes special days of caring such as Clean-up Day. Clean-up day is a day of transformation where family, friends and neighbors perform vital volunteer services that keep the cemetery looking beautiful for visitors.
GHC relies solely on volunteers, donations and grants to endure its mission—to maintain the grounds of GHC in a manner that respects the dead, honors the living, and preserves a valuable connection with our rich pioneer history. This is why the Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries (OCHC) is so important to GHC. Over the last several years, we have received generous grants offered to historic cemeteries by OCHC. For example, GHC built a beautiful bulletin board at the cemetery entrance this past year; this project was on our 5-year list of things to accomplish, and the OCHC came to our rescue.
Now, visitors will have access to general information, a cemetery map, and GHC history. Since there is no onsite office, this bulletin board will provide valuable information to visitors who arrive looking for family members. We can now direct visitors via phone to specific locations as they stand looking at the map. This project was beyond our budget; without the OCHC grant program, we would not have been able to afford this much-needed addition.